The framework is just that, a frame in order for workplaces to mirror their own policies around, according to NHS Employers. It centers around five principles:
- Make the distinction between vaping and smoking clear.
- Policies should be informed by the evidence on health risks to bystanders.
- Identify and manage the risks of uptake by children and young people.
- Help smokers to stop smoking and stay smokefree.
- Ensure compliance with smokefree law and policies.
NHS Employers reports that there are 2.9 million vapers in the U.K. The site is careful to say that there is “no evidence of harm from secondhand e-cigarette vapor. There is also no evidence so far to suggest that e-cigarettes are acting as a route into smoking for young people,” the site said.
Find out more about how to support your staff to quit smoking by downloading the creating healthy workplaces toolkit, and for more about the impact of smoking in the NHS, download the smoking infographic.
You can read the new framework on the Public Health England website.